11.27.2009

A bitter-sweet Thanksgiving pie


Its that time of year again! Thanksgiving day is when we gather around dinner table with our families and feast upon a meal fit for kings. As I sit here on the couch, full and lazy (from my Thanksgiving meal) typing this blog I think about all things I’m thankful for. I’m thankful for my family and friends, my website and all my followers, and being healthy and happy. This holiday, as always I get asked the same question “ will you be cooking Thanksgiving dinner?’ and I always say “ NO, this is the one day I let my mother and my grandmothers have”.  I did get to make the desserts though. I made a pumpkin pie with a maple meringue topping, a Deep-Dish Apple pie, and my parents anniversary cake (chocolate with a raspberry filling).

I started with the pumpkin pie on Wednesday, which was fairly easy since it was a “no-bake”. On Thanksgiving morning I made the deep dish apple pie. Because of this pie I officially hate pies, well maybe just for today. Everything started out fine; I first made the filling (spices, citrus, juice and apples) and then came the dough which I had made the day before. The dough was now hard because I had left it in the refrigerator over night.  So I left the dough out on the counter for a while to soften as I proceeded to make the ganache and sugar lace for my parent’s cake. By the time I got to the dough it was too soft! There was no time to put it back it in the fridge for so I did what I had to do and I rolled it out. Five times I rolled the dough, and that was just the bottom! Then I rolled out the top, four times!!

My head was going to explode. Fortunately with the help of my dad we pieced it together and the pie came out beautifully. When people look at it they’ll think what a pretty pie it is and how good it tastes, but little do they know that under that sweetness lays a bitter side. In the end everything turned out alright. No matter how frustrating things can get while cooking or baking, don’t let it bring you down just take a deep breath and never give up.  The chocolate Raspberry Ganache Cake was fabulous, if I say so myself. All of this got done just in the nick of time to carve the turkey and begin to eat.   After the meal we’ll all sit back and unbutton our pants and have coffee, cake, and pie (the perfect ending to a Salamon Thanksgiving).



A little history; the first Thanksgiving was celebrated at the site of Plymouth plantation in 1621 with the pilgrims and Indians.  There were dishes such as yams with marshmallows, cranberry, dressing (which is stuffing in a casserole), corn of the cob, mashed potatoes and of course the magnificent delectable, crispy skin, turkey!  A growing trend with turkey these days is deep frying it… Special equipment is used to lower the turkey into a giant deep fryer.Experts say that 46 million turkey’s are consumed by Americans on during the holiday (poor turkeys). Isn’t it great to know that on these special holidays people from near and far are brought together by a meal. Whether your eating, talking, singing or laughing, it’s food that brings us together.  Well, take in the smell of the turkey roasting in the oven, the mashed potatoes and spices from the pumpkin bread because it only comes once a year. From JeremyCooks.com I hope you and your family’s have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Keep on Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment