5.16.2009

Chocolate, Raspberries, Mom?



Ok, so I know its way past mothers day but I just had to tell you of my frozen truffle experience. I always make my mom something on Mothers Day ( her favorite is Linzer Tart Cookies) but this Mothers Day I wanted to make something different. Well, my mom absolutely loves chocolate with raspberry. A couple a days earlier I discovered a recipe called chocolate raspberry sorbet bon-bons (which are basically frozen truffles) courtesy of Curtis Stone.

First I bought Ghirardelli dark and white chocolate (although you can use whatever you prefer). Then I bought a pint of raspberry sorbet. It’s a very easy process, but as I learned you have to work quickly. The recipe calls for a melon baller but I couldn’t find ours, so I used a tablespoon instead (not recommended, get a melon baller, it’s a lot easier). I scooped about 20 balls and put them on plastic wrap on a small baking sheet. The sorbet started melting and this was not working! I decided to start over, but this time I worked in the freezer (no I don’t have a walk-in freezer, but I wish I did). I simply put the pan in the freezer and reached my hands in. It’s a tight squeeze but there is just enough room to work. Once that was done I left the balls of sorbet in the freezer to harden until I finished the chocolate.

Next, I melted the chocolate in a double boiler (if you don’t have a double boiler just use a small glass bowl and put it over a small pot of simmering water, NOT BOILING! After melting the chocolate (I broke up the bars into pieces) I let the chocolate sit until it cooled (this may take some time). Once cooled I got the sorbet balls out of the freezer. I then stuck a toothpick in each ball and dipped them into the dark chocolate. Work as quickly as possible, or in the freezer like I did. After you are done with the dipping let them sit in the freezer for 30 minutes. After this time take them back out and drizzle with the remaining chocolate of your choice (I chose white, it was a nice contrast and looked really professional). When done place them back in the freezer until ready to serve. These little “bon-bons” are incredibly decadent and it put a big smile on my moms face (and with the big smile comes lots of kisses “ warning”).

Try doing this yourself and let me know how it goes. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment