2.05.2012

Lazy Man's Soup

I'm lazy on occasion. OK, I've admitted my fault. I'm ashamed of my laziness, I mean I'm 17 years old! I should be running marathons and wrestling alligators (maybe). However, with school, work, Heirloom, the book and everything in between! Oh, what a world! I shuffle myself up the steps, through the front door and onto the living room couch. I bury my face so deep into the cushions as if I'm hoping to find the lost city of Atlantis on the other side. None the less I wake up to a cup of coffee and do what needs to be done.

The subject of cooking when we're most drowsy is unthinkable. Who wants to braise, sear, and deglaze when we can't even lift a finger. Sometimes though I find a home-cooked meal to be just my cure for a little laziness. It gets me on my feet and moving about. But what's a lazy man to make? Soup is my pick me up. The other night when I felt like I had been in a lazy coma I decided to make potato soup. The recipe below is similar to a Vichyssoise but hot and with the addition of parsnips. I love parsnips in this concoction, it's almost like an air-fresher (that's parsnip scented) lingering around in hearty purée of potatoes, leeks and thyme. I paired this with a sourdough gruyere grilled cheese, an optional but highly recommended addition. Try this comfort in a bowl, it's as easy as boiling potatoes. A task even a lazy man can carry out!


Lazy Man's Soup

3-4 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cubed

3 parsnips,peeled and cubed

4 Tbsp unsalted butter

3 leeks, cut in 1/2, sliced lengthwise (white part only)

1 tsp fresh thyme

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 1/2 cups chicken stock

1/8 tsp white pepper

Pinch of nutmeg

Place potatoes and parsnips in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender, 10-12 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium sized sauce pot and sweat the leeks together with thyme. Drain the potatoes and parsnips and add to the leeks. Add the heavy cream, chicken stock, white pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil and then purée the mixture using a blender. Season with salt and pepper.

Eat in good company,

Jeremy


No comments:

Post a Comment