10.14.2011

Steak and Siblings


 I've never mentioned my older brother here on JC.com. You should know his name is Jordan. He's always been my opposite, I like Sinatra, he likes Rap. He drinks Coke, I drink water. He enjoys planes and cars and I enjoy new kitchen equipment. Put our differences aside and you'll find our mutual love for creativity and art. Jordan is a wonderful artist (not to mention rapper). He's currently attending Art School for illustration and graphic design. One thing I've admired most about my brother is his view on life. He never fails to bring out the belly laugh of the 8-year old  boy inside of me. When you're around him, you’re smile will never touch the ground. He's always open to exploring the uncharted and mysterious, which brings me to my brothers eating habits.



He's a meat and potatoes kind of guy, but no other vegetables for this kid. Like I said he'll try everything but he might just never try it again. If he likes it, he'll stuff his stomach to his hearts content. He likes to graze around the comfort foods. You probably would find him in a dimly lit steak house with a 9oz Filet Mignon, a baked potato, a bottle of A1A sauce at his disposal and a pre-ordered chocolate soufflé for dessert. Although our  eating habits may vary and our likes may differ he's still my amazing older sibling, my partner in crime, my steak and macaroni...



There are some combinations in this world that are truly meant to be. Bread and butter, pasta and tomato sauce, etc. Like any great combination steak and mac'n cheese go together like conjoined twins. It was a week ago that Jordan ate a pan seared steak and yes, Stouffers macaroni and cheese. This meal sparked my stove and gave me an idea. What if steak and pasta had a whole new flavor. Spicy and creamy, rich and comforting. And like any great combination they both have there differences...

In the recipe that follows I made a rub using a variety of Spices, Cocoa and Coffee. Not your typical blend but the results will have your taste buds tingling, literally. When I was giving the tenderloin a rub I couldn't help but think of the coffee song by Frank Sinatra (a tune I urge you to listen to). On a much more richly flavored note, I paired the spicy tenderloin with a creamy Gorgonzola Mac. I started it off with an Alfredo sauce and added slices of Gorgonzola to it. Either Gorgonzola or Blue cheese will both work fittingly for this dish.

Keep on Cooking!!



Coffee Rubbed Tenderloin  

Rub:
1 Tbsp Adobo
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 cup Cocoa
3 Tbsp finely Ground Coffee
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Cayenne
Pinch of Chili Flakes

Mix all of the 8 ingredients above in a small bowl, set aside.

Tenderloin:
3 lb tenderloin
Salt & pepper
Olive oil, to coat
Coffee rub
A few sprigs of rosemary
5-6 cloves of garlic, smashed

Preheat the oven to 375F

Begin by heating the grill. Season the tenderloin with salt and pepper. Rub the tenderloin with all of the spice mix. Then lightly coat with oil to prevent sticking. Grill on each side for 4 minutes. Once you've obtained beautiful grill marks, let rest for 10 minutes. Place on a rack on a sheet pan. Surrounded with sprigs of rosemary and garlic. Cover with tin foil and roast for 25-30 minutes. Raise the temperature to 400F and continue to roast for an additional 15 minutes until medium-rare.

Gorgonzola Mac:
1 lb Penne (or pasta of your choice)
16oz. Heavy cream
4oz (1stick) unsalted butter
1 cup Parmesan
3oz Dolce Gorgonzola
1 Tbsp chopped chives

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente. Strain anne set aside.

In a large sauce pot bring heavy cream to a boil. Lower to a simmer and whisk in the butter, Parmesan, and Gorgonzola until smooth and thick. Add the chives and pasta and stir.




ENJOY!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment