7.15.2010

5 days, 5 sauces: Day 3, Chicken Veloute

Veloute Sauce simmering

Just the name Veloute might sound like you’re about to embark on a real culinary challenge, but don’t be fooled, it’s a very easy sauce to make. A Veloute is made with any white stock such as chicken, fish or vegetable. Veloute is not necessarily the finished product though. It is used in the traditional Supreme Sauce, which is made with cream and mushrooms, but you can strain the Veloute and serve it as simple gravy.



Melting the butter before adding flour and Chicken stock (in back)

I started out by bringing chicken stock to a simmer. I made fresh chicken stock the day before (which I highly encourage), but if you’re not up to it store bought works just as good. While the stock was simmering I began to melt a tablespoon of butter in a medium sized saucepan, once completely melted I whisked in 1 tablespoon of flour creating a roux (the beginning of a Béchamel). When the roux became a tan color I began to slowly whisk in the chicken stock. Once fully incorporated I let the Veloute simmer for 15 minutes, whisking occasionally. It became thick and creamy, from only 3 ingredients.


 
Stirring the Sauce

At this point you can serve the sauce as is or on a piece of grilled chicken if you wanted to. I decided to stuff the leftover chicken that I fabricated for the stock with artichoke hearts and spinach sautéed with shallots and garlic. I seared the stuffed chicken to get a nice golden brown and crispy crust, then into a 400-degree oven until cooked thoroughly. In the same pan I cooked the chicken, I sautéed shallots and thyme, then I deglazed (or cleaned) the pan with Marsala wine (you don’t have to use wine, you could use stock or water).


Prepping the Chicken and the Artichoke & Spinach Stuffing


Searing the Chicken

I let the Marsala reduce and the alcohol burn off. Next, I added the heavy cream and let it simmer until thick. At this point I added the cream mixture to the Veloute and stirred it with a wooden spoon. I pulled the chicken out of the oven, plated it and draped my mushroom Veloute over it. Lets just say mom couldn’t stop eating the sauce; I had to pry the pan out of her hands.


 
Artichoke and Spinach Stuffed Chicken with a Marsala Veloute

3 sauces down, 2 to go, and the ever-popular Tomato Sauce tomorrow. I think ill make lasagna.
Keep on cooking!!

Here's the recipe but you can also find it in the recipe section (Sauces) of JeremyCooks: If you would like to try my Artichoke and Spinach Stuffed Chicken with a Marsala Veloute, send me an email and I’ll send the recipe to you.          
(Click here to send me a request)


Chicken Veloute Sauce

Yield 1 quart
Veloute is a classical French sauce and one of the five mother sauces. It is made with any white stock such as chicken, fish or vegetable. Veloute is not necessarily the finished product. It is used in the traditional supreme sauce which is made with cream and mushrooms. You can simply strain the veloute and serve it as a simple gravy.

Ingredients:

6 cups hot chicken stock
2 tbsp clarified butter
2 tbsp all purpose flour

Equipment:
Medium saucepan
Heavy bottom saucepan
Wooden spoon
Wire whisk
Wire mesh sieve lined with a cheesecloth

Directions:
In a medium saucepan bring the chicken stock to a simmer, then lower the heat so the stock stock stays hot. Meanwhile, melt the clarified butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat until it becomes frothy. Do not let it turn brown as that will change the flavor. Stir the flour into the melted butter a little bit at a time with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a pale yellow colored paste or roux. Heat the roux for another minute to cook off the raw flour taste. Slowly add the hot chicken stock to the roux using a whire whisk. Whisk vigorously to get rid of any lumps. Simmer the sauce for 20 minutes or until the total volume of the sauce has been reduced to about one-third. Stir constantly to make sure the sauce doesn’t burn the bottom of the pan.

The sauce should be smooth and velvety. If the sauce is to thick whisk in a little bit more hot chicken stock until its thick enough to coat the back of a spoon or nape.

Remove the sauce from the heat. For an even smoother consistency, carefully pour the sauce into a wire mesh sieve lined with a cheesecloth.

Keep the veloute covered until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment